Chris Bauer's Reviews > Blueprints of the Afterlife

Blueprints of the Afterlife by Ryan Boudinot

Jun 14, 12

Read from June 10 to 13, 2012

I have to start by confessing that I was unable to finish the book yet gave it 3 stars anyway. What gives? Here goes...
There were passages in this book by Ryan Boudinot which were amazing. Hilarious, poignant, biting, clever and other great adjectives. The novel was populated by very interesting characters living in very "interesting" (like the old Chinese curse) times.

But the author tried way too forefully to be funny and focused on making characters/situations "quirky" instead of compelling.

It was very strange to read 10 consecutive pages of great writing and then slam into a brick wall, before having to get my speed back up again. At times it seemed like I was reading a collection of short stories connected to each other through only the weakest of threads.

After about 2/3 of the way through I had to put it down. That being said there is some brilliant writing in the book but as a "NOVEL" the book simply did not work for me.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blueprints of the Afterlife.