Megan's Reviews > Catching Jordan

Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

Aug 28, 12

bookshelves: not-mine-library, ya-quarterly-challenge-6, young-adult
Read from August 24 to 27, 2012

Catching Jordan does not do justice to the YA genre, lurve triangles, college football or girls who aspire to play traditional "boy" sports. For a better, I mean completely different league better, book about a girl who plays football, pick up Dairy Queen and forget this one.

In Dairy Queen, protagonist DJ Schwenk struggles with the reality of a girl playing a tough, physical boy sport. She deals with different degrees of acceptance. She balances her hopes, dreams and the realities of her situation. Unlike Jordan here.

Let’s see, Jordan is a high school senior, and daughter of a NFL pro. Not only is her dad a NFL hero, but in college he was a two-time Heisman trophy winner. Um...what the fuck with the slap in the face to Archie Griffin??? The man who happens to be the only real life two time Heisman winner, and an alumni of The Ohio State University! (On that note, author Miranda Kenneally clearly has a beef with Ohio State... her players don't care when Ohio State scouts come to the game but get their panties jockstraps in an uproar when scouts from the team up North come to check them out. Whatever :P)

At any rate... Jordan. Her dad is a football hero. Her brother is doing quite well in college ball. And Jordan herself has been her town's star quarterback since she was in grade school. So it is accepted that she is a kick ass football player, despite being a girl. Uh huh. I get it. Really. Girls can do anything boys can do. Except... sometimes they can't. Sorry ladies. But physically girls simply don't measure up. We don't. So while a girl may be able to compete with some guys, in the end guys are bigger, have more muscle mass and therefore more strength. Yet Jordan seems to think that she has a shot at winning a full football scholarship at a Division I-A football school. Do you know how very difficult that is? For talented football playing boys??? Let alone a girl? She says she loves football and wants to play football... which I can believe. But why must she go to the best of the best? To compete in a sport in which girls can't possibly compete? What the fuck is wrong with going to a smaller school? Do you know how many high school kids may be hometown (or even statewide) heroes and have to make the heartbreaking decision between accepting a scholarship to a Division I-A school and probably not getting field time because of the talent and the competition... and accepting a scholarship at a smaller and less prestigious school yet getting lots of playing time because the competition isn't nearly as fierce? When boys, talented boys, are faced with this decision... it is difficult for me to believe that a girl would be recruited by (and play at) a Division I-A school.

Furthermore, the kids in this book casually make statements such as, "He's NFL material" Uh, what? Firstly... going from high school football to college football is such a huge leap. So many high school stars simply fizzle out when it comes to college ball. And the transition from college to NFL is an even greater one. In so many ways, it is an entirely different game.

Anyway..... the "sports" aspect of this book severely disappointed me. Clearly, LOL. As for the lurve aspect... clichéd triangle. Jordan was shallow, the story line was unrealistic. Lurve triangle at its worst. Sorry, but there was nothing redeemable or enjoyable about this story.
34 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Jordan.

message 1: by Dominika (new)

Dominika Hey, the book was apparently crap, but you wrote a quite informative review, so there is a reason for it to exist ;] We don't have that whole high-school sports thing going on back in Poland, at least nothing that is so present in our school life (as a proof - no cheerleaders;P), so it's nice to learn some new facts!

Megan A large part of what annoyed me about this book so much is the football... obviously, lol! I am a huge college football fan, and purposely saved this book to read towards the end of the summer challenge because the college football season starts this Saturday. Perhaps I expected too much from it ;)

No high-school sports in Poland? As a teen I sucked at sports ~ still do, but no longer am forced to play them ;) Would have looooved a school without sports back then!

message 3: by Dominika (last edited Aug 30, 2012 04:40AM) (new)

Dominika We do have PE but I don't even remember how my teacher looked like and what we did exactly... played some volleybal and basketball, but that was more fun than anything. And I really suck at sports so I would've remembered anything straining;p We had a boys handball team, but I never saw them playing;) So the sport does exist, if you feel like it you can do something more, join a team or sth, but if not - it's just there in the background. Dunno, maybe some schools are different - but as we don't have that whole jock-cheerleader thing going on in our culture, and the best universities are national and thus for free - you don't do sports to get a scholarship, and so on, and so on... ;)

message 4: by Josephine (new)

Josephine Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Reading your review was informative. I'm not a football fan, but enjoy reading sports fiction. One point though, Jordan could very well be a fantastic QB on a high school team, even as a girl, she'd just have to accept that in attaining greater physical strength, some boys would find her unattractive as her body changed for the muscle mass. That being said, this girl doesn't look /that/ different. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012...

Megan Wow, that is awesome! Thanks for sharing the article :) True, you occasionally hear about girls playing highschool or jr high football with the boys. But in Division I-A & NFL levels, I just don't see it happening.

Have you read Dairy Queen? It is so, so very good. A great YA sports fiction book.

message 6: by Josephine (new)

Josephine Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious I haven't, but I added it to my to-read shelf because of your recommendation in the review. I agree on the NFL thing. I think it would be interesting to write a tomboy/sports-romance about a soccer player whose school doesnt have a girls team, and eventually she's drafted into the women's national league (fingers crossed that it actually happens this year. :D). That would be cool.

message 7: by Ceecee (new)

Ceecee Well, I'll save myself the trouble then. I have to take the word of a football fan. Nice to know things about football. We don't get to play that sport here.

Besides, I've read Dairy Queen, so anything about football/sports + girls will be compared to this gem. :D

Megan The Dairy Queen trilogy is a million times better than this book! Sports aside, this just didn't offer anything new to the YA genre.

message 9: by Maru (new) - rated it 1 star

Maru I hated this book and agree with your review completely. I'm not very familiar with college football, or american football at all for that matter since I'm not American. I just hated the characters, their story, and how unlikeable they all were. But now I know even the football aspect was all messed up... Yeah, like you said there really was nothing redeemable or enjoyable about this story.

Daphne i couldn't disagree more with your review, but it was very well writen. It was very informative, and you expressed your disslike for the book in a kind manner. So...I'm just saying...really good review!!!!! Ya...

Taylor Finally, a truthful review for this book! I couldn't agree more with you, about every single thing you've said. I've found this book to be actually insulting to women in football. Anyway kudos to you, high fives for fellow well-informed football fans.

message 12: by Megan (new) - rated it 1 star

Megan Thanks Taylor! Glad to see someone else bothered by this book. It does a disservice to football AND ya romance. Can't believe it is as popular as it is.

message 13: by Mollie (new) - added it

Mollie Megan I get that you dont like this book, and I understand that because some books I dont like either. Though the review was very well written and may have persuaded me not to read this book, because I was going to, I dont think its approipriate to trash a book and say rude things about it just because you dont like it. The author worked very hard on this book in order to make people like you like it. I get that you want to inform people that this isnt the greatest book for people with similar intrests in reading as you, but next time I would take it down just a notch. But all in all greatly written review! Keep reading!

message 14: by Megan (new) - rated it 1 star

Megan The thing is, I read for fun. I am not a paid reviewer, nor do I work for a publisher or even a bookstore or library. As such I don't feel an obligation to edit my opinion when reviewing a book. Had the author personally shared a copy with me and asked me to review it, then I would certainly make an effort to be more considerate of her feelings. Even so, just because a book is created art doesn't mean anyone has to be kind when they don't like it. And, frankly, if an author or even just a book lover doesn't wish to be exposed to negative reviews they should probably stay away from Goodreads.

message 15: by Tamikia (new)

Tamikia Mollie: Everyone isn't going to like or say good things about the book. Plus if an author can't take a negative review than they are in the wrong industry, period. Plus everything she's saying is true. This book comes across as wish fullment and not reality. I can see a girl being the best player of some other sports teams with all guys like tennis or baseball but in a sport like football and even hockey, it's just not realistic at all.