Jodie's Reviews > Blackwood

Jun 11, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: own
Read from June 20 to 21, 2012

As I began reading Blackwood and learning about a young girl by the name of Miranda, I couldn't help but be intrigued by her and the town that she lived in. It was as if everyone knew of the hidden secrets and it was up to them if they chose to believe them or not. I suppose all small towns have their own mysteries and tales over the years, being passed down from generation to generation but this seemed different. This seemed odd and even a little frightening.
Miranda's father is known for being a drunk and rather useless and mother had passed away when she was quite young. So when her father didn't come home one night, she had passed it off to a drunken stupor. When awakening the next morning, she had found that not only was he missing, but numerous townspeople had disappeared along with him. It was as if the legends and stories had come back to life. The Lost Colony. Roanoke. It was as if it were all happening again. This left me with nothing but eagerness and dread to find out what happened to so many people and how they could just vanish into the night.
Over time, as the story unfolded I found it a bit confusing and hard to hold interest. The people had ended up reappearing as if it had never happened. But things still weren't quite right. Poor Miranda's father was gone though. Never to return. Things needed to be figured out, and the police of the town weren't there to help in any way at all. It was all piled on Miranda's shoulders. It was all up to her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackwood.