Dolly's Reviews > Medusa the Mean

Medusa the Mean by Joan Holub

1019021
Aug 26, 14

bookshelves: 2012, childrens, education-school, gardens-flowers, middle-grade, money, ocean-seashore, greece-greek, fitness-sports, scifi-fantasy-mythology
Recommended for: children starting to read longer chapter books
Read from June 05 to 13, 2012, read count: 1

This is another entertaining story in the Goddess Girls series by Joan Holub. Our oldest especially is enthralled by this series and she can't wait to read more. She especially can't wait for Joan Holub to finish the next book.

I love that our girls are being introduced to Greek mythology in a light way; they are remembering the characters and stories and I think it is giving them a good foundation for reading the original tales later on. I liked that the author tries to humanize (or Gorgonize?) Medusa and show that she's just a confused teen, not an evil monster. And the introduction of Perseus and Andromeda as kindergarteners is rather humorous. We're on a bit of a Greek mythology kick right now and we're reading different versions of many of the tales.

This story is longer than the first book in the series and it also gets a little deeper into a romantic aspect. Our girls are not quite ready for that yet, but thankfully it's still PG. We've enjoyed this series so far and our girls are eagerly awaiting the next book in the series, The Girl Games.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Medusa the Mean.

06/12/2012 page 150