Cheyenne's Reviews > Miss American Pie: A Diary of Love, Secrets and Growing Up in the 1970s

Miss American Pie by Margaret Sartor

Jul 10, 12

Read from June 11 to July 07, 2012

I was skeptical about this book because I got it at a dollar store and I figured if it was there it would be terrible because well, it was at a dollar store. It took me a while to get around to reading it, but when I did, I really enjoyed it.

Since it's in diary form, it was a quick read because the passages were short and I kept reading and reading. It's set in the 70's, but Sartor didn't seem to different from teenage girls today. I couldn't relate to a lot of stuff in the book, like the dating around because I never did that in high school, but the parts about feeling lost and unsure about everything all of the time and the strain on her relationship with God were similar to how I felt in my early teens. And the flip flopping of emotions towards everybody still applies to me, as it does to everyone, I presume.

It is a bit shallow though - she mostly talks about friends and relationships with boys and doesn't explore what was going on in the world, like the racism and things like the Watergate Scandal and the death of Elvis and many other things that happened in the 70's that were a big deal and affected a lot of people.

I recommend this book if you want a simple and quick read that takes to back to being young and confused about the world and who you are in it, but also reminds you that you've changed and all those things that seems so important and terrible don't matter anymore.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss American Pie.

06/16/2012 page 100