Stunatra's Reviews > Fahrenheit 451

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

U 50x66
Jun 12, 12

Recommended to Stunatra by: Ray Bradbury's death
Recommended for: Those who like overrated novels and lifeless bores
Read from June 06 to 10, 2012 — I own a copy

As I write this, Ray Bradbury died almost a week ago. Five days ago I was looking for something new to read, and his death inspired me to pick up Fahrenheit 451, which had been sitting on my bookshelf for some time, waiting to be read.

I can't say that I enjoyed the time I spent with F451. A book of this size--barely novel size, novella, really--should have taken me no more than two days to read, took me 4 days. I even started to fall asleep a few times, a phenomena that rarely happens while I'm reading a book. I even wondered if the thing was worth finishing. I vowed to finish it, and finish it I did, but not without skimming and skipping pages. And it still took me 4 days to finish it.

I guess that sums up how I feel about the book and maybe I should stop there. But I won't. I will say what I've been itching to say since I picked the damn thing up. I may be slaughtered for such honesty, but to hell with it.

It's an overrated bore! Lifeless prose, unlikeable characters. A short story stretched out to novella size--Bradbury admits as much in the Afterword, which I have to say, was more interesting than the book itself. It should have remained a short story, in which it undoubtedly could have been a more enjoyable read.

The idea was good, but how could such a good idea become such a boring novel? In this age of e-Books, and Kindles and Nooks and etc. this book does not transcend time, and I wouldn't be opposed to every paper and hardback copy of this book being burned. I'm thinking about burning mine just for the fun of it in vengeance of the time of my life I will never get back and the lack of fun I had reading it. Does anyone want to buy it?

Bradbury may have been a talented storyteller, but he did not impress with F451. May he rest in peace, for if all of his works are as boring as this one, it will save people their valuable time of reading it and from having such heinous thoughts of wanting to burn it.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fahrenheit 451.