Heidi's Reviews > I Sing the Body Electric! & Other Stories

I Sing the Body Electric! & Other Stories by Ray Bradbury

Jun 11, 12

Read in June, 2012

I picked this up from the library on a whim and started reading it just a few hours before I heard that Ray Bradbury had died. RIP, one of my favourite authors. I want to imagine that you have taken your place as one of the Exiles on Mars.

This is a collection of Ray Bradbury short stories, most with Bradbury's unique Twilight Zone twists and all written with his wonderfully lyrical language. A time machine traveler tracks down Ernest Hemingway to give him a more fitting departure from the world. A woman gives birth to a baby who appears to be a blue pyramid with three eyes and six tentacles--because, due to an accident at birth, the baby was born into a different dimension. A bunch of intrepid explorers sets off to find a lost city on Mars and finds both their fondest hopes and their worst nightmares.

An oceanic predator starts singing a siren song to an attractive man who happens to be already taken. Abraham Lincoln comes back to life--and is shot again. An old man left behind on a planet for 60 years gets a telephone call from the past.

The eponymous story made me cry. Three children who have lost their mother are gifted with a grandma who's perfect in every way--except that she's a robot. The story asks what it means to be human, and what it means to be a non-human.

4.5 stars. I thought it was terrific.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Sing the Body Electric! & Other Stories.