Victoria's Reviews > Bittersweet

Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler

Dec 02, 12

bookshelves: realistic-fiction, cover-i-love, winter-reads, 2012-favorites, leaves-awesomeness-behind, best-characters, best-couples, best-endings, books-that-i-loved, cute-and-sweet-like-candy, favorites, heartfelt-and-inspirational, heroines-i-love-and-respect, made-me-laugh, young-adult, treasure-keeps, books-reviewed, ya-sc-2012, rainy-day-re-reads, chick-lit
Recommended to Victoria by: Wendy Darling's awesome review
Recommended for: those who wants to read a book about flawed-relatable characters that explore real-life situations
Read from July 16 to 18, 2012

After some disappointments from reading YA PNR, I decided to stop reading those books for a while and focused on realistic fiction for a time. Luckily, my library has this book and I was fortunate to take this book with me to read. From glancing at the beautiful, creative cover and reading the blurb in the book, I just got a good feeling that I will enjoy it! And you know what?! I was right!

You know there're some books that totally deserve every one of those stars? Well Bittersweet deserves it. Bittersweet was a delightful read--cute, sweet (just like the cupcakes!) and very heartfelt and touching. I love how Ockler created believable, relatable, yet flawed characters. (We need those characters in YA books. I'm really happy when the characters are not Mary-Sues.) I'm glad how the characters went through some twists and ends, but managed to fix their mistakes and learned their lessons in the end.

Bittersweet started out the story as a young 14 year old girl, Hudson, who has high dreams for a spectacular ice-skating career, but gives up that dream after her parents were divorced. Now 3 years later, she is baking cupcakes and helping her mother out in New York's diner. But one day, she got another opportunity to make her dream come true. Agreeing to start coaching the boys' hockey team, she starts realizing that her career isn't over yet. Juggling through baking cupcakes at her mom's diner, keeping secrets, and practicing skating, she realizes that this might be harder than she thought.

The main character, Hudson, is funny, awesome, kind and relatable to girls in real life. We can see in the story that she has dealt with a lot of guilt because of her parent's divorce and secrets she kept from them. She has lot of struggles (Her parent's divorce, friendship problems, etc.) and mistakes, but she learns from them and fixes them. She cares deeply for her family, friends, and always there for them. I love the relationship between her and her brother, Bug. I can see that they both care and love each other very much. The relationship between Hudson and her best friend, Dani, is amazing and realistic as well. I just love those moments with Dani. Dani is the type of friend that I would love to have! She's funny, nice, and an amazing friend. You can see that their friendship is so beautiful, realistic, and unbreakable!

Josh Blackthorn is Hudson's crush who is kind, nice, and ridiculously cute and charming. I always look forward to reading moments of her and Josh. They're so cute together! Though I wish there were more special scenes with Hudson and him. I guess I'm just being greedy! :D

I especially love the cupcake descriptions in the book because it's very vivid and you can't help, but have a craving desire to eat them just from reading one sentence.

Overall, Bittersweet was a sweet treat and the perfect holiday story (especially on Christmas!). It's definitely a book that I will always love! :)

Recommended for: YA readers who want to immerse themselves into a comfort and cute read generally around the time of winter or those who wants to read a book about flawed-relatable characters going through realistic situations.

Favorite quotes:
I was so focused on that point in the distance that I didn't bother looking back, didn't consider what I'd be leaving behind. All the people I love, my family, and the friends like Trick and Dani who've become my family. All the little quirks that make even the most barren, frigid places beautiful, that make a tiny gray dot on the map the one place you'll always call home, no matter where your glamorous, boring adventurous,average, ridiculous, impossible, epic, romantic, bacon-infused life leads you.

Dark chocolate espresson cupcakes topped with cinnamon cafe au lait icing, white chocolate chips, and chocolate-covered espresson beans.

Oh, I also save the best for last! Cupcakes!

description
description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bittersweet.

Quotes Victoria Liked

Sarah Ockler
“Would 'sorry' have made any difference? Does it ever? It's just a word. One word against a thousand actions.”
Sarah Ockler, Bittersweet

07/17/2012 page 79
21.0% "Bittersweet is so cute, funny, and really sweet! I especially love the descriptions of cupcakes. :)"
07/18/2012 page 247
65.0% "I just love this book! The heroine, Hudson, is funny, awesome, and relatable to girls in real life. I love the situations she have to deal with and how she isn't perfect. She actually have flaws..unlike all those YA heroines. Can't wait to finish this so I can write an awesome review on it! :)"
07/18/2012 page 247
65.0% "I just love this book! The heroine, Hudson, is funny, awesome, and relatable to girls in real life. I love the situations she has to deal with and how she isn't perfect. She actually has flaws..unlike all those YA heroines. Can't wait to finish this so I can write an awesome review on it! :)"
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wendy Darling I'm happy you're enjoying it! :)