Pratishtha garg's Reviews > The Glass Palace

The Glass Palace by Amitav Ghosh

Jun 21, 12

Read from June 11 to 21, 2012

Lingering, Longing, lusting, meandering and then hungrily finishing itself up.
This is one book that i needed to savor and think about when i finished it, for atleast a while. The characterization and the landscaping is so rich, connected and overwhelming, that the losses struck me as mine own, and the celebrations as my own joys.
It is rambling story of a Burma before and after British invasion, and an India in the throes of independence movement; spanning well across 3 generations, and spilling about a bit as well. I do not want to summarize the plot here, primarily because of the inadequacy i feel at the task. However, the characters lived an era that influence them and led them into choices that i could not imagine; and shaped a future that made little sense to me before i was introduced to this bit of history at this close quarters. Its a story of a golden land, and a land for opportunity, and of love and losses only made grand due to the love, and above all, a deep connection with a neighboring land that was instrumental in building it as well as destroying it.
I fell in love with Arjun, and condemned him later, because i was in love with Dinu as well. I was awed by Rajkumar, and touched by Dolly's humanity. Manju's beauty could only be contrasted with Alison's sharpness, and Neel's pride with Ilongo's humility.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Glass Palace.