Michele at A Belle's Tales's Reviews > Unspoken

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan

Aug 27, 12

Read from June 10 to 16, 2012

**4.5 stars**

I love the concept of this story: imaginary friends. Who didn’t have a make-believe companion at some point in our young lives? But what happens when you grow up and your imaginary best friend doesn’t fade away into childhood’s past? If you can’t hide from everyone that you are carrying on one side of an intelligent, albeit humorous, conversation… in your head? And even more incredible, what happens when you meet your fictitious other half… face to face?

Unique, refreshing, sassy, stimulating, exhilarating… these are just a few of the adjectives I would use to describe Unspoken. The witty and oh-so-clever banter between the lead character, Kami, and… well, everyone was fresh and so much fun to read about. Kami’s humor and snark were fantastic, and, while some may find Ash’s golden looks appealing, it was Jared who captured my attention and my heart from the very beginning. The boy breathes new life into the words “ruggedly handsome.”

“'My body is a gift from God,' Jared said gravely.
'Except for my hips, which are clearly a gift from the devil.'"

I was so drawn into Kami and Jared’s story that, at one point in the book (the elevator), I felt the characters’ pain so profoundly that I realized I had gasped out loud and was clutching my stomach. I LOVE when a book makes me feel what its characters are feeling. It takes a very talented author and a special kind of story to draw me in so much that I lose myself entirely and reality fades away. And that talent extends to creating a setting that is so easily seen in the reader’s eyes that you feel as though you are walking the streets of Sorry-in-the-Vale or glimpsing strange things in the Sorriest River.

There were some great twists and turns in Unspoken, and, although the dreaded “I love you, but I can’t have you, come-to-me, don’t touch me” scenario was present, I found myself not even caring if I was getting whiplash from Jared’s moodiness and Kami’s battling emotions.

Even if Sarah Rees Brennan hadn’t convinced me with her excellent writing and fascinating story, the sudden and unexpected ending of Unspoken has me counting down the days until book two in The Lynburn Legacy releases.

Thank you to Random House and Netgalley for providing me with an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.

This review can also be found on my blog, A Belle's Tales

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unspoken.

06/10/2012 page 25
06/12/2012 page 152
41.0% "Go away, real life, so I can get back to MAH book! I <3 Jared and Kami!"