Melissa Namba's Reviews > One Day

One Day by David Nicholls

Jun 16, 12

Read from June 10 to 14, 2012

I was really disappointed in this book because, not only was it not really just that good, but because the basic premise of the story is not strictly adhered to. I was expecting a book that seriously focused on that one day each year. I expected that as a reader I would have to do some extra thinking to fill in the gaps but that the story would flow logically because of how well written and consistent/empathisable/interesting/etc the characters would be. Nope. Several days begin with a synopsis of what you missed during that year (in a way that no person thinks in a stream of consciousness). I know that we all reflect on things that have happened in the past (both recent and long ago) but we don't do it in a general synopsis way. I for one have never woken up and thought, "Well in the last 364 days what someone who might not know that well might not know is that I have left my lover, changed my bed sheets four times, alienated my grandparents and broke that clasp on my bra that had started poking me 365 days ago." The idea had so much promise, but the execution, bleh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Day.