Mrs. S's Reviews > Dramarama

Dramarama by E. Lockhart

Jun 17, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read in June, 2012

Ok, so this was a lot of fun for me to read, as a theater teacher and former theater kid. When Sadye (née Sarah) heads off to drama camp, she faces a lot of the hurdles you might expect--shifting friendships, boy trouble, difficult directors--but Lockhart handles it so deftly that it feels new and unexpected. I love the line she walked with Sadye's two directors; both have elements of me as a teacher, and elements of teachers and directors I had as a student. Neither is all good or all bad, and both made me think critically about elements of theater (especially theater with young people) that I sometimes take for granted.

I think actually the thing I loved the most about this book, though, is kind of a weird thing to love. But in Dramarama...actions have consequences. And not in the usual way of "taking spunky risks pays off when they make everyone respect you more." Like, real consequences, big and small. That was so refreshing. Don't get me wrong: I often love to see spunky risk-taking pay off. But, wow, this was a really welcome alternative.

If you're a theater person, definitely pick this one up. It's a good summer read!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dramarama.