Giselle's Reviews > Steel

Steel by Carrie Vaughn

Jun 11, 12

Read in May, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed this book! It was a very interesting read with the perfect blend of historical fiction and fantasy. I remember thinking it was a bit slow at one point but it quickly sped up again and kept my interest hooked for the rest of the story. The author did a great job creating the book's environment. While reading, I felt like I was immersed in the time period and loved how the author created such a believable world. The villain was deliciously evil and I was glad with how he ended up being taken care of.

My only issues...
1.) The romance was pushed and seemed pretty unbelievable. A good romance should make me catch my breath or squeal with excitement - neither of which happened. The chemistry between the two characters just wasn't there and [SPOILER] I was NOT happy with how the relationship just ENDED in a single page.

2.) There were so many opportunities to create a lovable crew aboard the pirate ship. I ended up "liking" a few of the characters but I never ended up loving any of the crew members because the author didn't take much time to establish their quirky/lovable personalities.

That being said, I thought this was a great read and would definitely recommend it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steel.