Lstirl's Reviews > Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?

Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You? by Dr. Seuss

Oct 05, 08

Mr. Brown is an expert at imitating all sorts of noises. There isn't a sound Mr. Brown can't do, from a hippo's gum chewing to a goldfish's kiss. The noisemakers are graphically illustrated and the "sound effects" are printed in big lettering.
As a fan of Dr. Suess, I loved this book. I feel that young children and infants will love the rhythm and rhyme of this story as well as identifying with the items that are creating the noise. It would also be engaging to make the noises with the child.
However, this book seems to be geared more towards sharing between the child and adult than to be perused alone. The pictures are small and not too brightly colored. The text wanders around the page in a hard to follow manner and the pictures are slightly abstract and might be difficult for an infant to identify. Because of these drawbacks, I don't see this as a child favorite, but rather as a favorite book to be shared. The strength of this book for an infant lie more in it's lyrical content, rather than the art style.
This book was not originally designed as a board book and was instead adapted and shortened from a longer version. This might explain the lack of large, easy to recognize illustrations that are usually the hallmark of a board book.

I will add editorial reviews once I can find them.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?.

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Evans Nicely done review that displays a solid understanding of children's needs.