Angie's Reviews > The Egg and I

The Egg and I by Betty MacDonald

Jun 11, 12

Written in the 1940's by Betty MacDonald (of Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle fame), this book recounts her years as a newlywed on a chicken farm in Washington state. A city girl, it's not where she expected to end up.

The good: MacDonald is funny. Very funny. Yes, she pokes fun at her neighbors (the TV series about Ma and Pa Kettle was based on her book), but she has plenty of fun at her own expense as well. She's a skillful writer. Despite her comic tone, her personification of the mountains, for example, is often quite beautifully poetic. She's a good storyteller and kept me turning the pages.

Still, as other reviewers have noted, her humor often has a bitter taste to it. You've seen married couples who tease each other with warmth and good humor on both sides...MacDonald's recounting of her husband's shortcomings and misadventures was more of the everyone-is-squirming-uncomfortably variety. And, yes, she did come off sounding a bit prim and snobbish at times--especially when targeting neighbors she viewed as prim and snobbish.

Fun read, but I think I prefer Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Egg and I.

Alexandra wait. there was a tv series about maw and paw kettle?!?!

message 2: by Suz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suz A series of movies, rather than a TV series. The movies are avaiable on Netflix.