Annalynn's Reviews > The Last Letter from Your Lover

The Last Letter from Your Lover by Jojo Moyes

Jun 10, 2012

it was ok
Read in June, 2012

This was one of those books that sounds like an incredible story, but the execution of that story is lacking. Spoilers follow, since there is no way to discuss it otherwise. It was a confusing story that could have been great, but, alas, it was presented poorly. The first half of the book is set in either 1960 or 1964. It alternates back and forth between the two time frames. Adding to the confusion is that every time it would switch between the years, the chapter would often start out featuring a different character you hadn't met before (like the secretary, or the lover the first time, or the lover's boss). I was constantly having to go back and forth in the pages to figure out what was happening, which is not so easy to do on the kindle as it is in a hard copy. As if this wasn't confusing enough, the second half of the book is told in 2003, featuring another person we hadn't met before.

I actually like the idea of someone finding 40 year old love letters and trying to solve the mystery of who they were to/from, and what happened to them. But I really, REALLY wish the author would have opened the book with this mystery, and just simply flashed back to the 60s from there. Frankly, too much time of the book is spent on the 60s couple, and not enough on our modern story. Instead, we have a mystery within a mystery, as our heroine has amnesia for every other story for the first half of the book, and then the modern-day heroine trying to solve a second mystery 40 years later involving our first mystery lead characters. And yes, reading the book was just as confusing as it sounds in my review. Good luck if you try and read this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Letter from Your Lover.

02/17/2016 marked as: read

Joanne Wood Yep, I was confused too and kept having to flick back and to!

Tracey I got fed up and didn't finish it.

Brenda I'm only half way through the book but this is exactly how I feel about the writing. I'm enjoying the story but feel like I have to keep flipping back. It's all over the place.