Edna's Reviews > Moonglass

Jun 10, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary, signed, young-adult, 2012
Read from May 20 to 26, 2012

Moonglass follows Anna and her father after they move away from the seaside town where ten years before her mother stepped into the ocean and never came back. Their new home is the beach where her parents’ romance first blossomed, a place that may give Anna answers she was never brave enough to ask for out loud, come to terms with her mother’s death and fix up her, at times, awkward relationship with her father.

This novel gave lessons in freeing yourself of grief and guilt which can easily be held onto for years and grow heavy on your shoulders. Anna and her father were masters at leaving things unsaid and it was clear to see how it was becoming more of an issue for them as time went on, to the point where they were stepping on eggshells and losing touch with one another. There was some touchy, emotional subject matter when it came to Anna’s mother but I believe Kirby handled it well in a quiet, simplistic way.

One of my favorite aspects of Moonglass were the bits about mermaids and how they entwined with Anna’s mother. There was something very enchanting about those stories and dreams that I think most readers will love. The beautiful beach atmosphere added to that magical feel and it made me want to head to the beach to find some mermaid tears (sea glass) myself.

If I nitpick, I have to say that Anna’s various relationships could be fleshed out a bit more, like with her love interest or mother’s friend. I particularly wanted more from her relationship with her father, though the big confrontation between them was done brilliantly. In the scope of things, Kirby does wrap up the main plot rather well to make this a satisfying coming-of-age story.

YA Summer Lovin' Tour recap on Wit & Fancy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moonglass.