Dawn's Reviews > Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness

Eat and Run by Scott Jurek

F_50x66
Jun 19, 12

Read from June 10 to 18, 2012

This book was OK, but I wasn't exactly blown away by it. I expected a little more of a memoir but, really, it came across as more of a series of race reports compiled into a single book, along with a few tips on ultrarunning and some vegan recipes thrown in for good measure. It was interesting, for sure, to read of Scott's experiences in the ultrarunning world, but I would have like a little bit more of a cohesive narrative regarding his life and racing career. Scott talks about his childhood and his parents, but I found it somewhat interesting that there's not more detail about his ex-wife and marriage. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he was trying to respect her privacy, but it felt like something was missing from the book because of it.

I thought (and hoped) that this book would inspire me to run my first ultra. While I do still hope to run a 50k and maybe a 50 miler some day, I can't say I was inspired to do so by this book. If anything, the stories of the physical and mental toll that an ultra can take on a runner have scared me away from the more challenging races. I'll have to find a nice, 'easy' one to do :-).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eat and Run.