Betty's Reviews > Spoiled Rotten: How the Politics of Patronage Corrupted the Once Noble Democratic Party and Now Threatens the American Republic

Spoiled Rotten by Jay Cost

Jun 24, 12

Read from June 10 to 21, 2012

This book never disapoints. Being old enough to remember the FDR/Hoover election I had a clear concept of the differences between the two parties and the reasons one made a choice until I had reached middle age in the 60-70s. At that point politics no longer made sense to me.
Spoiled Rotten was worth reading if only for it's lucid discription of the events and their influences which were strong enough to affect a dramatic change in the priorities of the Democratic Party.
In addition, it's a fascinating read as it takes the reader, step by step, through the attempts of each succeeding administration to deal with that change. Without overt partisanship, Jay Cost makes clear the methods used,the reasons a few were successful and more failed, bringing us to the point we find ourselves today.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spoiled Rotten.

06/15/2012 page 164
45.0% "A perfect book for anyone lacking a political science major. Even better, I'd say, because this writer seems to lack the usual partisan slant one finds in most books of this type."