Brenden's Reviews > Reamde

Reamde by Neal Stephenson

Jun 10, 12

Read in June, 2012

I chose this as my first Neal Stephenson book to read. I understood that it would be more of a thriller than his other works and less interesting in a technical perspective, but I thought it would be a good way to ease into his books and see if I like his writing style.

To put it plainly, I was disappointed. The top-level ideas are inherently interesting, and even the plot itself is interesting, albeit a bit crazy and unbelievable for my taste; however, the sheer endlessness of the book ruins it for me. As a person who tends to read longer books, easily surpassing the 1000 page mark, I feel this book is far too long and drawn out. One set of insane, often ridiculously chance based alignment of happenings is set up and slowly plays out just for it to escalate into another ridiculous scenario.

Needless to say I am a bit disillusioned about trying his other books, but I do think there is a possibility that I would enjoy the others and feel that I really just picked the wrong one to try out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reamde.