Sarah's Reviews > Girl Reading

Girl Reading by Katie  Ward

Jun 10, 12

Read in June, 2012

I really enjoyed this, I was completely immersed and when I had finished the seventh section I went back to check out the links and connections I thought I could see. I haven't read a book that has engaged me this much for ages.

I see from earlier reviews that others have struggled with the lack of punctuation and have found the jump from one story to another rather disruptive. I didn't have either of those problems, I think I have developed a style of reading for books like this (based on reading Cloud Atlas perhaps and The Time Traveler's Wife) where you just have to absorb it, not get too bogged down in the detail and let yourself get the atmosphere and the impression. And there is loads of atmosphere in this book.

I don't agree with those who feel it is disjointed, I think it is building up to an ending and the ending doesn't disappoint. To stick with Katie's kind of analogy, each story is another aspect of the painting being sketched out and filled in by the artist.

For me the payoff came quite clearly in the final story, with a slow realisation that we are being warned that much as we love to review books on the Goodreads site and to look up the fine art images on Google, we need to think hard about what we really value and how what we need to do to preserve it.

I love my Kindle, but I love to flick the corners of the pages of a book as I read and to write with pen on paper to make a note of what I think.

I am not sure if I will make it to 2060 to see how much Sibil was a prediction rather than a fiction. Not too much I hope.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl Reading.