David Withun's Reviews > Twilight of the Idols/The Anti-Christ

Twilight of the Idols/The Anti-Christ by Friedrich Nietzsche

Jun 10, 12

bookshelves: favorites, philosophy
Read in June, 2012 — I own a copy

These two books, two of Nietzsche's last books, are simultaneously one of the greatest challenges ever launched against Christianity (after that of Dostoyevsky in The Brother's Karamazov) and are the greatest challenge to modern atheists. No matter which side of the debate you belong to -- or if you are a third party altogether -- Nietzsche has something to rock your world. I first read these books as a teenager and they forever changed the way that I view the world. The question that everyone who reads these books, and the rest of Nietzsche's work, must ask themselves is what to make of the modern world. As we enter a supposedly post-Christian era, an era of which Nietzsche was certainly the forerunner and prophet, we must ask ourselves just how much of our heritage we are willing to part with as we part with Christianity. And we must ask ourselves upon what basis we will build this new, post-Christian civilization. My belief is that Nietzsche was right: the foundation will be power.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twilight of the Idols/The Anti-Christ.