Yuri Karabatov's Reviews > Turning Pro

Turning Pro by Steven Pressfield

May 17, 14

bookshelves: own
Read from June 10 to 11, 2012, read count: 2

The amateur tweets. The pro works.

That pretty much sums up the book for me.

In the face of uncertainty and doubt, the amateur chooses distraction, while the pro chooses to do the work instead. The pro knows: doubt won't go away by itself, one has to push it, shove it, kick it. By doing the work.

What is distraction, if not self-sabotage, sabotage of one's future self? As Pressfield puts it, "lives go down the tubes one hundred and forty characters at a time." It's not only Twitter, but any distraction or self-delusion that prevents us from doing the work of our life.

Mindset makes all the difference. Approach the work like a pro, and you win. Come at it like an amateur, you give up and in the end it kicks your butt.

The amateur and the pro are Pressfield's metaphors for people who either run from their fears or face them. It's a choice that one has to make every day.

What's your choice?

Ignore this book at your own peril! Short and intense, it will challenge your attitude to work and life - for your own good.
27 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Turning Pro.

message 1: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Sirotkin I loved this along with "The War of Art," but one point I think Pressfield misses is that really solid writing always has to be grounded in some kind of background, either experiential or research-based:

Yuri Karabatov Yes Kyle, I see your point: there's no point in writing/creating if you have nothing to say in the first place. Totally valid.

Anyway, a lot of people do have something to say — and “beating the Resistance“ would allow them to share their stories :)

message 3: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Sirotkin Very true, in a way I just think Pressfield makes it seem easier than it really is - simply sitting down and writing isn't necessarily enough if you haven't done the research to write non-fiction or engaged in life enough to write compelling fiction.