Kate's Reviews > Ten

2752027
Jun 13, 2012

bookshelves: arc, read-in-2012, bea-2012
Read from June 10 to 12, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

My full review won't be up until a little closer to publication date, but this has got to be one of my favorite reads of the year! It reminded me a lot of old school YA, the horror/thriller stories of my own youth. The style is more Christoper Pike (and ya'll know I love Pike) than R.L. Stine, with teens actually behaving in a teen manner.

I was a bit afraid that this book would end up watered down and that only one or two people would die off screen, but nope, McNeil brings the horror! I was thrilled to pick up this title at BEA because I had heard the buzz about it being based on Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None, because even though I hadn't read the Christie book I was familiar with the plot.

Don't worry though, this isn't a regurgitation of And Then There Were None. It's more Scream than Masterpiece Theater, not that I don't love me some Masterpiece Theater but sometimes I just want to be scared out of my mind.

And this book delivers that. The author personally recommends reading this book during a thunderstorm, which would definitely set the tone, but I read this mostly at my well-lit work place (it was raining off and on outside though) and I still found myself startled by a mirror while reading. Yup, I managed not to scream, but it was a close thing. I work with the elderly, so screaming is not recommended.

I would love to see YA swing back to thrillers, because that is still my go-to genre anytime I need to get out of a reading slump (I love apocalypses, ya'll, but I can only read so many in a row before needing therapy).

For me this is a Five Star, Midnight Book Read simply because it really did have me up until the midnight hour- I had finished all but the last two chapters when a rainstorm woke me up and I knew that I had to finish the book right then and there! And yes, even though I came back from BEA with more books that I can probably read this year, I'll still go out and get McNeil's other book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten.

06/11 page 54
18.0% "Almonds! it shall be the new corn nuts (for all you Heathers fans)."
03/08 marked as: read

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-3 of 3) </span> <span class="smallText">(3 new)</span>

Ashley Gosh, I cannot wait to read this one!

Midnyte Reader Cool! I'll have to start on this one.

Neomi I miss books like R.L. Stine, I read thru them so fast as a kid!!! Thanks for the review, i will def read this one next!!