Stephanie's Reviews > Get Off Your "But": How to End Self-Sabotage and Stand Up for Yourself

Get Off Your "But" by Sean Stephenson

Jun 10, 12

bookshelves: 2012

The corny title drew me to pick this book up initially. I thought "I bet this is really aweful, perfect for a scathing review." But it wasn't the case.

The author, Sean Stephenson, was born with a brittle bone disease. During his birth every bone in his body broke. The poor baby was shattered, born into excruciating pain. None of the doctors believed he would survive for long, but he did.

Because of his disease he had constant fractures through his childhood, and wherever these fractures happened that 's where he would have to stay. Fragil as he was, moving him would break more bones. So they would have to adapt everyday life around the situation, eating, sleeping, and...well other things, would happen right there in the very same spot. He never grew taller than three feet tall, and is confined to a wheelchair.

Sean went to college and got a degree in political science. Afterward, he landed an internship in the Clinton Whitehouse. Became an inspitational speaker, which led to a degree in psychology, leading Sean into being a therapist. He also has a very active dating life.

The next time you feel like whining about how hard life is, think about this guy...........take a moment, then STFU.

Much of what he said in this book has been said before, oddly though I got some of it this time in a way I hadn't before. Gratitude, for one thing, is something I understood intellectually, but I never truly knew what all these new-age people were getting at. But the author told a story about going out for a walk around the neighborhood, he started out in a good mood but then it took a turn as he looked around and he started focusing on all he didn't have. Didn't have that big house, that family (we all do this stuff) soon he was in a rotten mood. At this point he started thinking all that he did have, good friends, great job, and began to feel much better.

If you are grateful about what you do have, and who is in your life, it's is impossible to wallow in the stuff you don't have.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Get Off Your "But".

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittany B. (new)

Brittany B. Great review! I'm the junior master of self-destruction. ;)

Stephanie Brittany B. wrote: "Great review! I'm the junior master of self-destruction. ;)"

Thanks, on the bright side.....you have a title!!

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim In that case, can I be the senior master? (by reason of age; not so much for mastering anything)

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways STFU is my constant refrain to myself! Thank you for this, cryptodaughter, I needed this reminder today. *smooch*

message 5: by sckenda (new)

sckenda Thank you for bringing this to my attention and thank you for teaching me a new acronym that I had to google.
I'd like to curse more often if I could get by with it without offending others. STFU might help me to do so.

Stephanie Jim wrote: "In that case, can I be the senior master? (by reason of age; not so much for mastering anything)"

You are so dubbed sir.

Stephanie Richard wrote: "STFU is my constant refrain to myself! Thank you for this, cryptodaughter, I needed this reminder today. *smooch*"

You are welcome papa! Anytime.

Stephanie Steve wrote: "Thank you for bringing this to my attention and thank you for teaching me a new acronym that I had to google.

STFU is one of favs, you can drop an F bomb without dropping one..

message 9: by Jim (new)

Jim Stephanie wrote: "Jim wrote: "In that case, can I be the senior master? (by reason of age; not so much for mastering anything)"

You are so dubbed sir."

I feel better already!;)

Stephanie Jim wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Jim wrote: "In that case, can I be the senior master? (by reason of age; not so much for mastering anything)"

You are so dubbed sir."

I feel better already!;)"

That is my most important job.......make my friends feel better!

message 11: by Jim (new)

Jim Stephanie wrote: "That is my most important job.......make my friends feel better!"

You are extremely good at it!! After sitting on a gunpowder keg for a few days, I can certainly use the relief...

It's okay. I knew the job was dangerous when I took it. Just nice to get some cool refreshment at Stephanie's place.

Stephanie Cosmopolitan sound ok? I make a mean one.

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim You really are an angel of mercy! Yes, please!

Stephanie My pleasure sir.

message 15: by Jim (new)

Jim :D

message 16: by Brittany B. (new)

Brittany B. Stephanie wrote: "Thanks, on the bright side.....you have a title!!"

Lofl. Very clever response! Both Steph and Jim! :)

message 17: by Jim (new)

Jim Thanks, Brittany! Steph is the true master.:)

Stephanie Ha...thanks guys!