Bethe's Reviews > Racing in the Rain: My Life as a Dog

Jun 10, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: dogs, childrens-realistic
Read on June 10, 2012

Bookaday #9. This book does not work for children on so many levels. It is a pale comparison to the second best dog book in the world, from which it was adapted, "The Art of Racing in the Rain". Although Enzo continues as the witty and philosophical canine narrator, his humorous anecdotes are few, interspersed between too many serious adult problems. I just don't see kids age 8-12 (as mentioned on the back cover) being interested in Denny's woes, which are very compelling and poignant to the adult reader. The traumas the family endures have been dwatered down for the young reader and one incident thankfully not included. I also see very few in that age group connecting to the sport of racing. Perhaps if the author had rewritten the story to focus on Zoe's side of all the problems, or focused on one of the traumatic events, or thrown in more funny dog stuff it wouldn't be such a dull mess.
The one good point that very much belongs in the book is the back matter - the author interview and photos are very child friendly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Racing in the Rain.

Tonimo I strongly agree with you. This book is not appropriate for young people. The story even in this version is complicated and in some areas oversimplified.

Bethe I'll be curious to see if the students check this book out and read it, and if so, what their comments will be.

Rmoreno2005pobox.com Concur. Not appropriate for children.

message 4: by Angela (new)

Angela Joves I love it! :)

Savana Seven-year-old: loved it and got it... And rated it five stars.