Rachel's Reviews > Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde: The Devoted Friend/The Nightingale and the Rose

Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde by Oscar Wilde

Jun 10, 12

bookshelves: children, comics, mythology-and-folktales, young-adult
Read in June, 2012

I picked this up randomly while looking for books for my son, for summer reading. The book features two fairy tales created by Oscar Wilde, but they (The Devoted Friend and The Nightingale and the Rose) are rather dark tales. The Devoted Friend is about little Hans, a generous soul who gives and gives to his "friend" the Miller, while the Miller gives nothing in return. Little Hans dies at the end. I had never read this story before, but I had read the second story before. The Nightingale and the Rose tells the story of a young student in love with a vain young woman. He wants to take her to the Prince's ball and spend an evening with her, but the only way she will come with him, is if he has a red rose. He can't find one and the Nightingale, who has been watching the whole time, prepares to sacrifice herself on the thorn of a rosebush, so he can give the rose to the girl. When he turns up with it, the girl rejects his gifts for other better ones that she has received. He comes home dejected and studies instead. Honestly, the main reason I liked this book was for the fantastic comic-style illustrations by P. Craig Russell. Definitely want to try out more of his books in the future. Recommended for ages 8-12, 3 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde.