Ian Mapp's Reviews > That They May Face The Rising Sun

That They May Face The Rising Sun by John McGahern

Jun 10, 12

Read in June, 2012

This book is in my book of 1001 books that I should read before I die. Thats the reason I chose it and the reason why I chose to abandon it after only 100 pages. It just wasnt for me.

There is no plot, nothing happens, the characters are all interchangeable and in the few pages I read I neither learned anything about them, what motivated them and where they were going to go.

There are no natural breaks in the book and the relentless prose just goes on and one until the point where I just couldnt take it anymore. An utter waste of my time. I remember trying to get through Ulylesses and meeting a similar end, but with that, I got to with 15 pages of the end. At least this time I had the good sense to give up before investing too much time.

I realise that this review will come inbetween a Lee Child and a Tom Cain book - but they are not all I read either.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That They May Face The Rising Sun.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark Wilson I couldn't agree more with your review. It's all very clever use of language I'm sure and if I was an English professor I'm sure that I'd be as equally entertained as impressed. But I'm not. with you 100%

Becky Bored me silly too! Life is too short...

Malachi I can't agree that the characters are interchangeable. I can understand you being bored because you don't want to enter that slow reflective pace but be fair, the characterisation is beyond brilliant. I would know these people if I met them in the street.

Bill Keefe Oh boy! All careful readers and such wildly different views. It took me 2 years to get past the 4th page but as I read, I got so deeply involved in this little, inactive village. Scary how very good I think this book is.