Lindsay Allison's Reviews > A Kiss at Midnight

A Kiss at Midnight by Eloisa James

10120988
Jun 10, 12

bookshelves: fairy-tale-romance

When I first heard that Eloisa James was writing a fairy tale series, I got absolutely giddy. I love fairy tales and I loved that someone was going to put their own personal spin on them yet again. As soon as I got paid again, I rushed out to buy them.

This book wasn't bad at all. It wasn't quite as good as I thought it was going to be. Now, a part of this might be because I had recently finished a string of Karen Hawkins books and switching to such a different style might have thrown me off. Because in the past I have really liked Eloisa James, a lot. And I still do.

I appreciated that she took a lot of artistic freedoms with this story by creating her own fairy tale world. She made up names and places and people. She made them all extravagent and flamboyant and unique. Some of the names were a little out there for me (Cherryderry - I'm not sure why I couldn't get past this name, lol.) but I was able to get past most of it.

What really threw me off with this book were the descriptions of the two main characters. At first Kate, our heroine, thinks that Gabriel, our hero, is very unattractive and vice versa. But then in a couple of chapters they are both very attracted to each other. I got a feeling from each character of "Oh, I think you're ugly and you look like this. But then no, you're kind of cute and you look like this. But you also kind of look like this." And all those different descriptions didn't seem to match up all of the time. It got a little confusing. I think I understand what she was trying to accomplish with this. I know that in my life my physical view of someone has changed the more I get to know them. I think that's what she was trying to convey with them, that the more they got to know each other the more attractive they became to one another. Unfortunately, I don't think she executed this as well as she could have.

I also felt that the build up to them realizing they love each other was rocky and disjointed. They barely liked each other for three-fourths of the book and then all of a sudden they were madly in love with each other. Granted, a LOT of romance novels are like this, but the novels I've read by James in the past weren't written this way. So I was a little disappointed in that.

I will say that I absolutely LOVED her heroine, Kate. I thought she was a wonderfully done Cinderella. She was strong and naive at the same time and that part James DID execute perfectly. Kate can handle everything about running an estate with perfect ease. She can work in the fields, tend to the maintenance of a building and balance all the accounts. She can't act respectably in public because she has no idea what the rules of society are. I thought she had a very strong voice and was well developed. There was nothing lacking in her character that I could find.

I also loved her not-so-fairy godmother, Harry. She was loud and abrasive and didn't give a crap what anyone thought of her. She had been madly in love with Kate's father but she wasn't naive to his philandering ways. She was crazy about her drunken husband and they doted on each other like young newly weds. She was a wonderful example of comic relief and I thought she was also very well developed as character.

Overall, this book was good. I give it a solid 3 stars, maybe 3.5 stars. I'm glad I read it and I wouldn't mind recommending it to a friend who was looking for fairy tale romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Kiss at Midnight.

Quotes Lindsay Liked

Eloisa James
“If you don't mind a word of advice, one never asks a lady to set her own price. If you have to ask, the answer will always be more than you can afford.”
Eloisa James, A Kiss at Midnight