BookHookup's Reviews > Timepiece

Timepiece by Myra McEntire

Jun 10, 12

Read in June, 2012

Great minds think alike…and avid readers often read the same books! So…when we discovered that we’d requested the same book from Net Galley, we decided to compare our thoughts and share them with you.

Ana: I’m going to come right out and say it…I liked Timepiece much more than Hourglass! I thought there was more adventure and mystery this time. The story was fast-moving as pieces of the puzzle fell into place on a regular basis and helped me understand the bigger picture. With a bad guy who wasn’t just an invisible threat but was physically there at every turn, I couldn’t read fast enough.

The characters’ powers are growing and changing and their relationships are more intense than ever. They’ve also matured since the last book and the reader is given an insider’s view into what makes them tick. All the characters from book one are here and they’re still well written but I loved Lily in this book. She’s so spunky and real that you just can’t help but root for her. I also enjoyed the fact that this book explores not just romantic relationships but also those between friends, parents and children.

Unlike the first book, which was written from Emerson’s point of view, this time we’re given the pleasure of getting to know Kaleb’s inner thoughts. Since he was my favorite character in the first book, I was very happy to have this story written from his point of view and equally pleased to get to know this bad boy with a heart of gold even better. My favorite Kaleb quote “I’m a bad ass. A bad ass who bakes when he’s depressed!” really just says it all about this character and, quite honestly, makes my heart beat just a little bit faster. I don’t know what the author’s plans are for the next book but may I humbly suggest it be written from Kaleb’s point of view again? With the twists this story took and the way it ended, I can’t wait to see what happens next!

Christina: Just like Ana, I also loved this book a little more than I loved Hourglass, and it may have had something to do with it being in Kaleb’s POV. In case you didn’t already know, the bad boys totally own me in books. It’s a… thing, or rather, I should I say I have a thing for them. But Kaleb isn’t just your typical bad boy because he has to build walls up and keep people at arm’s length to protect himself because he’s an empath, a person with the ability to feel others’ emotions. Naturally, the stronger his connection is to a person, the stronger his ties are to the person’s feelings, and to keep himself sane, he pushes people away. So, his exterior- tattoos, piercings, aloof attitude- screams that he’s your typical jerkoff, but in reality, he’s funny, wants to help others, and he cooks (mostly almost shirtless, but always with his ‘kiss the cook’ apron). Seriously, Kaleb may be my ideal male.

But enough of me drooling over him, there were other things about this book that I enjoyed, too. Surprisingly, I was more pulled into the story this time by the plot and not necessarily by the characters. There was the constant need to discover why the rips where evolving and becoming stronger along with all of the characters’ abilities. Then there was the mystery of who Jack really was and what or who he was truly after. This story read a bit like falling down the rabbit hole, with having to question everyone’s motive at every turn and figuring out what was real and what was fiction, who you could trust and who you couldn’t. And while it helped to move the plot along nicely, sometimes I felt too discombobulated to truly grasp what was going on in the story, which brings me to what I disliked in the story.

Timepiece felt busy and a little bit all over the place for me. (This may very well have been my fault because yesterday everything in my house was going to hell in a hand-basket and it was hard to concentrate and follow the story as well as I needed to in order to comprehend what was actually going on.) I felt myself having to reread passages or sometimes even pages to absorb what was happening because each page was packed with information. While in most stories I’d love this because there wouldn’t be any unnecessary reading, I think it may have hindered this novel in some cases because the logistics of time travel and the space-time continuum is already complicated enough.

Also, I missed the characters. As I’ve stated in other reviews, the best way to get me to enjoy your book is to make me love your characters. I’m not saying I don’t love the characters because I do. Even better, most of them grew emotionally in this story and getting to see more of Lily’s personality was a real treat. Yet, at times, I felt as though they all took a backseat to the plot and it was harder for me to connect to them. I didn’t feel myself getting as attached as I had been in Hourglass; therefore, I didn’t feel myself invested in the story as much.

All that being said, I’d rate this a solid 3.5, rounding up to a 4 because yeah, Kaleb is my type of man. Then there’s the fact of all the twists that came at the end, making me incredibly curious about the next book in the series.

A special thanks to Egmont USA for letting us preview this title from Net Galley. Timepiece hits shelves on Tuesday, June 12th.

With that, I’ll leave you with a bit of Kaleb’s conversation with himself.

“You are sweetness and light. Human cotton candy.”

*Christina takes a bite out of him. But shhh, don’t tell Ana, she thinks Kaleb is hers.*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Timepiece.