Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)'s Reviews > Hooked

Hooked by Catherine Greenman

Jun 26, 12

Read from June 15 to 18, 2012

This was a gritty yet funny at time contemporary. I think that we get a unique view into being pregnant and being a teen mom, and I think that it's an important message. As much as Thea tries at times, she cannot romanticize the idea, especially when her boyfriend Will makes it where she can't stay with him for a while. Though I liked this book and what it tried to convey, I was left feeling like there is nothing that will make me remember it a year from now. I still think that its worth reading.
I think that all aspects of characters were done well, Thea was fleshed out, and she had things I could relate to, perfections and faults alike. Will was dreamy at first and then gave a real picture of what happens a lot when a girl gets pregnant and there is a child brought into that relationship at such a young age. Thea's parents are far from perfect, but I really liked how her dad stepped up in the end whereas I wouldn't have expected that. I got to read about a dynamic that is not all that present in the books I read, the father daughter one.
I also like the stages the book goes through, we get to see the beginning and development of Thea's relationship with Will, and how she is completely hooked on him-to the extent that she doesn't really pay much attention to anything else. What a familiar feeling that is though, the new relationship and the obsession.
This book took on a whole other dimension with Thea's crocheting. It interested me because I can crochet a bit, and it played a role in a book of helping her to distract herself and also in the end helping to find herself some.
The ending wasn't tied up completely, but I think that is also life, and hers really was just beginning, so I think that is fitting in its own aspects.

For more of my reviews, check out Blkosiner’s YA and Teen Book Blog: http://blkosiner.blogspot.com
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hooked.