Kaede's Reviews > Splintered

Splintered by A.G. Howard

Spun from the classic tale of Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland, Splintered explores and charts the darker side of a premise so widely known. Taking on a twisted version of the Wonderland we know of, A.G. Howard introduces a world of possibilities where anything and everything can go wrong. And the moment our female protagonist begins her journey through a terrifying place once known as fiction, well, there was only one thing left to say.

Welcome to the real Wonderland.
May all your dreams fail to come true.

Alyssa Gardner, our main character and narrator, is a fairly typical teenager with a long time crush and the ability to hear the words of bugs and flowers - wait, that's not normal? Then what about her mother's situation? Not normal either? Well then. Whatever. Have it your way. But obviously, your definition of "normal" needs some fixing. Just saying.

But anyhow, Alyssa. I really liked Alyssa, with her interesting personality, and history of having a family of women fall to madness - and Alyssa fears she's soon to follow. The whispers of small insects is just the beginning.

As a single child, I've grown up a majority of my life watching friends who have older siblings and being somewhat envious. Many of them have told me over and over again how much of a pest their older or younger sibling(s) was being, or how cruel and evil said brother or said sister really was. Understandable. But since I've never really had a real brother or sister (I particularly want a older brother), I can't honestly speak for myself. And I have this horrible tendency to want certain things I don't have. And so I really, really want a brother.

And in comes Jeb. He's everything I want, if I could have one, my brother to be; protective and caring. And plus, he skates. And anyone who skates gets a gold star from me. And he's good at all. OH YEAH. YOU GO, BOY. The scene where he was first introduced in the skating park I was like:

Since the romantic relationships that Alyssa establishes through the series is most fittingly described as a love triangle, it's only fair that I mention Morpheus. Morpheus is Alyssa's guide through Wonderland. Having forged already a connection to Alyssa when she was young, Morpheus now serves as a figure of familiarity but also of heavy suspicion. I really liked Morpheus too, and found myself always amused by him. (And uhm, if you haven't seen it yet, Unhinged's cover with Morpheus on it is absolutely gorgeous.)

What is real, and what is not? What is reality and what is purely fictional? Splintered is Alyssa's journey towards discovery - of who she is, who she's meant to be, and which boy is her meant to be. Complete with the beauty of the writing style, the fluid and vivid descriptions, twisted versions of character that'll be remembered for being exceptional in different ways and reasons, Splintered is certainly, if anything, worthy of being read.

A.G. Howard has a talent with words and characters that leaves me:

I love her. I swear I do. In that non-creepy, but slightly stalker-ish way. (Oh my god I did not just say that.) DO NOT WORRY THOUGH, I am fairly certain Anita is aware I am a self-proclaimed stalker of her books because she is awesome.

And also if you take a look at the finished copy, complete with PURPLE INK and amazing all around, you will not be able to stare me in the eye and tell me you don't love it. Splintered was an excellent debut, one of my all time favorites, and I just CANNOT WAIT FOR UNHINGED.

*stares at Unhinged's release date*

*tries to will it to change to like, yesterday*

No results.

*sobs in a corner*

**An advance copy of this book was provided for review. However, all opinions remain honest and my own.**

Pre-review:

OH MY GOD I WANT NEED THIS.

Excessive fangirling. 'Cause I'm cool like that.

SPLINTERED, YOU WILL BE MINE.

IT'S MINE. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS! I TOLD YOU IT'D BE MINE. ARC due to arrive in a week. Dying of happiness. <33

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Splintered.

Quotes Kaede Liked

A.G. Howard
“Jen said some guy asked you but you didn't want to go. Why not?"
I shrug. "I have this character flaw? Called dignity?”
A.G. Howard, Splintered

A.G. Howard
“Tearing down the rest of the world won't make you happy. Look inside yourself. Because finding who you were meant to be? What you were put into this world to do? That's what fills the emptiness. It's the only things that can.”
A.G. Howard, Splintered

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah i feel this so much i'm gonna die without it

Kaede Stargirl1234 wrote: "Exactly!!!"

The cover is so pretty. o_o This is definitely a case of 'Judge-A-Book-By-It's-Cover'.

Kaede Sarah wrote: "i feel this so much i'm gonna die without it"

LOLOLOL. Don't die on me, dear. I don't want to be held responsible.

message 4: by Kristina (new) - added it

Kristina Bell OHMYGOD. You're so right. LIKE ALWAYS. DARN YOU. NOW I'M GOING TO CRY UNTIL JAN. COMES ALONG.

message 5: by Lina (new) - added it

Lina Damn. This looks so good. o_o You sold me, Kaede.lololol.

Kaede Oh? I never knew I was in the business of selling people. o_o Well, how much do you estimate you're worth? I'll need a price by Monday, 'kay? Your buyer is getting impatient.

message 7: by Lina (new) - added it

Lina LOLOLOLOL. Around $1?

Kaede Right... ._. In that case, I'll buy you myself, pfft.

message 9: by Lina (new) - added it

Lina Kaede wrote: "Right... ._. In that case, I'll buy you myself, pfft."

Ooooh. :DDDDDD YAY!

Kaede Yay? .__. Do you like being bought? Should I be concerned? o_O

message 11: by Lina (new) - added it

Lina Maybe...o_o

Kaede Lina wrote: "Maybe...o_o"

Ha.

message 13: by Lina (new) - added it

Lina Kaede wrote: "Lina wrote: "Maybe...o_o"

Ha."

:D

message 14: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah can't believe you got the arc you wild woman! so excited for you!

message 15: by Kaede (last edited Sep 04, 2012 08:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaede Stargirl1234 wrote: "We can now both read it together! But discussions should be put in inboxes for fear of spoilers XD"

LOLOLOL, YESS<333 We must discuss. We shall be spamming each other's inbox soon, no?

Kaede Sarah wrote: "can't believe you got the arc you wild woman! so excited for you!"

Hah. Thanks love<33 What can I say? Wild and proud. >;D

Kaede LOLOL. I. Can't. Wait. WHEN IS IT COMING. I've been checking my mailbox everyday. Lawl. :p

Kaede Lmfao. ;) Hopefully sometime soon. ARGGG. I WANTS NOW.

message 19: by Kristina (new) - added it

Kristina Bell It looks really good!<3

Khanh (Kittens, Rainbows, and Sunshine) I LOVE YOU FOR USING THE SON DONGWOON GIF.

message 21: by Jamie (new) - added it

Jamie Pauline Your review says pretty much what I would say about this book.
I'm with you, Jeb is HOT! (Team Jeb!) Btw, love the Gabriel GIF. (I adore that show!)