Shellie (Layers of Thought)'s Reviews > Kitty and the Midnight Hour

Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn

1987170
Aug 27, 12

bookshelves: spec-fic-fant-urban, read-in-2012, spec-fic-horror, spec-fic-monsters, blog-reviews
Recommended to Shellie (Layers of Thought) by: Tor Books
Recommended for: urban fantasy newbie readers (and lovers)
Read in June, 2012

Original review (including books 1-5) published at Layers of Thought.

Book number one, of this fun and dark series where Denver DJ turned werewolf, Kitty Norville, accidentally starts a radio talk show – called “The Midnight Hour”. It surprisingly blows the radio station ratings sky high pulling in special callers (werewolves, vampires, and more) looking for advice in a world where they have been thought not to exist.

About: Kitty is a nighttime DJ who has been unwittingly turned werewolf. Definitely not a choice, she deals with it with the help of her best friend TJ (also a werewolf) and their local pack. Being part of the pack has helped her adjust, but there is a hierarchy within the group that is not entirely comfortable, balanced or healthy.

When her paranormal radio talk/advice show “The Midnight Hour” becomes a hit, it disrupts the pack’s status quo and the paranormal entities in power are annoyed and angry. With factions attempting to stop her new found success and independence, Kitty maneuvers through the drama as peacefully as possible. But there are some pack members (and others – including vampires) who may even want her dead.

Thoughts for the entire first 5 books in the series:

*I recommend reading the series in order and definitely reading the first book before the rest, which gives the reader an important basis for the entire series.*

I listened to this book in audio which was read by Marguerite Gavin. I liked the voice of the reader and felt it fit for the Kitty character. She does a fine job with differentiating all the characters, changing the tone for men and women, creating believable differences, and handling accents from different countries and locales in the US.

With its realistic modern day setting, this is urban fantasy with some paranormal romance thrown into the mix. It’s fantastical in nature but the story is relevant. I found it fun (darkly so) and thoughtful, without being too fluffy. It includes insight into human nature while questioning social and moral issues, making it feel like there are lessons to ponder while enjoying the drama, dry humor, and light, tasteful romance. I think my favorite part of the series is the character Kitty herself; she is strong and independent, yet vulnerable and reflective. I can see why there are 10 books in the series, one story collection, miscellaneous short stories, and apparently more in the works. 4 stars!

Special note: The series includes light and tasteful sex scenes, strong language, as well as horror elements. A “heads up” for those readers that may be sensitive to them.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kitty and the Midnight Hour.