Vy's Reviews > An Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy and Grace

F 50x66
Jun 10, 2012

liked it
Read in May, 2012

This is an inspiring collection of essays on cooking more than it is a cookbook (though there are recipes). I admire and envy the author's ease in the kitchen, and she tries to demystify the process for the rest of us. She at once simplifies and elevates the art of cooking. I confess, though, that she has so much ease that I sometimes felt all the more awkward by comparison. Her videos helped ease some of that.

I wholeheartedly agree with her admonitions about starting with seasonal, quality ingredients, including ones grown or raised as sustainably as possible, though for many cooks, that may not mean cooking with economy. I love the idea of endings of meals as beginnings of new ones, but I hate how often my leftover ingredients and meals go to waste. Adler gives some wonderful practical advice for changing that, and I'm motivated to do better. My favorite parts were about remedying mistakes (there's even a section in the appendix!), as I make those in abundance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Everlasting Meal.