Sarah's Reviews > Angel Eyes

Angel Eyes by Shannon Dittemore

I don’t usually get into young adult fiction but this one was a great adventure and I’m looking for more books from Shannon, I was kept engaged the entire time I was reading this book. Since this is a YA book some of the conversations were a bit, juvenile, but it was still an enjoyable book to read. I must say that there are the use of the c*** word several times and there is also some flirting, mention of casual sex as well as a comparison to another series of books and werewolves. I would not be handing this to my 10 year old and I would even have my doubts about letting her read this as a 12 or 13 year old, but I am a bit more conservative in what I allow my children to read.

I was able to chalk up the cussing and other issues about this book as almost all the main characters except for Jake and his guardian are unsaved so their actions and words will reflect that. If your child is old enough to extricate the two, saved and unsaved, then it would maybe be okay, unless you just don’t want them reading that. I did like the way the author switched characters, it didn’t prove as confusing as I first thought it would and I also liked the who evil versus good plot line. Many books today blur the lines that there is some good in evil and some evil in good – however evil is evil and there was no blurring of those lines. God’s angels were good while Satan’s demons were all bad – as I read I saw Brielle questioning faith in her mom’s God to having her own relationship.

Please, don’t think me overly harsh, I did enjoy this book and compared to other books in this genre that are given a Christian label, this was one definitely mild and as I said above keeping in mind that almost all the characters are unsaved – they aren’t going to talk or act like Christians should. There is no neat tidy ending – which is expected for a good versus evil fantasy novel, although there is a definite romance blossoming between Jake and Brielle, but nothing inappropriate comes about in their relationship. So if you enjoy a fantasy/sci-fi book with a Christian theme woven in then you just might want to check out this book.

**Disclaimer: I was provided an e-copy of this book from Litfuse Publicity in exchange for my honest opinion, no other compensation was given.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angel Eyes.