Johanna Bouchard's Reviews > Sand Dollar: A Story of Undying Love

Sand Dollar by Sebastian Cole

Jul 06, 12

bookshelves: first-reads, reviewed
Read in July, 2012

Sand Dollar is a love story reminiscent of "The Notebook", as the author confesses, but still remains uniquely its own story. I won't bother with a lengthy synopsis as other readers have done a fantastic job summarizing it.

There were several things I really enjoyed about this book, most important of which, I think, is that the story always felt "real", and never forced. I also loved how the author chose to go back-and-forth between the past and the present, revealing layers of the story as they become relevent. I was totally taken by surprise by the ending (sad in a way but ultimately it was a happy one), which I didn't see coming at all, another plus!

My one complaint? Not really with the story itself, but I couldn't help but notice the absence of an author bio and picture, something which I compulsively seek out before I ever start a story. Its not really a big deal, but I like to be able to read about an author to sort of get to "know" them before I read their work so I have an idea of where they're coming from. Plus, who wouldn't want to see what such a hopeless romantic looks like?

Marvellous book, it brought a smile to my face, and I would certainly love to see Sand Dollar become a movie as the author wishes, I have a feeling it would do very well :)

I have received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sand Dollar.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sebastian (new) - added it

Sebastian Cole Thanks, Johanna!

Sebastian

Johanna Bouchard Sebastian wrote: "Thanks, Johanna!

:)"

Just wanted to let you know I'm loving the book so far (I'm probably 1/3rd of the way through)! Unfortunately my crazy hectic schedule is keeping me from finishing it off right away, but I will be sure to write a review as soon as I can! Thanks!! :)

message 3: by Sebastian (new) - added it

Sebastian Cole WOW, thanks for the great review!! I'm all smiles.