Kim Hansen's Reviews > Severed Threads

Severed Threads by Kaylin McFarren

F 50x66
Jun 10, 2012

If you haven’t already heard me say it before, I love, love suspense books that keep me guessing – and in the new book “Severed Threads” by author Kaylin McFarren, you will find just that!

The first chapter of the book gives you a very good back-story so you learn more about what shaped the meat of the book. I always appreciate when an author does this because it helps get me more interested from the beginning.

The book revolves around Rachel Lyons who lost her father 4 years previous in a diving accident and the cause of his death was never confirmed. In some ways she feels responsible for his death and has sunken into a life where she has alienated everyone. In addition, she left her job as a marine biologist and has taken a desk job for a foundation office.

When the story begins, the director of a museum, Dr Ying, comes to speak with Rachel about a grant request. His grant request has to do with finding a Chinese merchant ship which is said to be cursed. This is the same ship her father was looking for when he died, so she wants nothing to do with it and tries explaining that to Dr Ying.

Enter Chase Cohen, the man that was with her dad the day he died – he also happens to be Rachels old boyfriend. It seems he would also like something from that ship – but does he have good or bad intentions?

In the process, Rachels brother is kidnapped by a mobster, and she is forced to try to steal an artifact from the ship in order to save him. Does she try to save her estranged brother, does she try to help her old boyfriend, or are any of them worth re-living what happened to her father 4 years ago?

I found this book to be chock full of suspense, twist and turns – with the reader never quite knowing who was the good guy, and who was the bad.

Highly recommend!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Severed Threads.