Ruth's Reviews > The Killing Moon

The Killing Moon by N.K. Jemisin

Jun 10, 12

bookshelves: spec-fic
Read in June, 2012

C2012:FWFTB: Gujaareh, Gatherers, dream, harvest, magic. Ms Jemisin appears around the book blogging sites as an author of note. Sadly, my normal book source did not stock the first books for some time so before I knew it I had reserved this one thinking that it was the first of her books.
It can be read alone but I did feel, for the first third of the story, that I was missing some background and I had to keep going to the front pages to reassure myself that this was indeed the first of a new series. The plot and characters are as different as they were lauded in the cybersphere. It is an intriguing world with enticing characters. And the suspense lasted until the very end of the book. I felt that it was quite a sad and bitter read though and the novel appears to concentrate on the theme of corruption for both good and bad reasons. “A certain amount of corruption is inherent in any position of power” and I wish that I had read this on my Kindle so that I could do a word count on the word corruption. The little bio on Ms Jemisin mentions that she is a political blogger and the blog name is “The Angry Black Woman”. I can well imagine that such closeness to politicians leads one to look at everything in a very cynical manner. Once again, no blurb on this actual book and only praise for the author and I think the one that best suits my feelings is the one from the Guardian ie “Sensitive, restrained high fantasy.” The cover illustration is by Marc Yankus who has also done some of the covers for Salman Rushdie. The New Yorker has described him as someone who has “idealized views of the natural landscape” (2009). Recommended to the normal crew even though there are none of the normal “hooks” that keep them enthralled. FCN: Ehiru, Prince Eninket (“his eyes glittered like citrines in the torchlight”), Nijira (he of the disturbing student/mentor relationship with Ehiru), Sunandi (The Speaker), Rabbaneh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Killing Moon.