Jacob Proffitt's Reviews > Savor the Moment

Savor the Moment by Nora Roberts

Jun 11, 12

bookshelves: audible, romance, steamy
Read from June 09 to 10, 2012

Laurel is the baker of cakes and fine pastries for Vows and the mean one of the group of friends. Fierce about her friends, she doesn't hesitate to rip up at anybody who threatens those she loves. She has been a source of constant pressure on Mac and Emma's suitors in the first two books of this series, so I was interested what would happen when it was time for her to fall herself. Short answer: fun ride, though about as tense as you might expect.

Since she has been secretly in love with Parker's brother Del since, well, practically forever, you just know that things are going to be awkward. Del has taken a big-brother role with all of the girls and protected them when he could and helped them as often as they'd let him since they were kids. Independent since the death of his parents years ago, he has become a successful lawyer, acknowledged business leader, and is a silent partner in Vows. So when Laurel is provoked by his brotherly protectiveness into laying a steamy kiss on him, things get very interesting, fast.

I was really glad that this book didn't go with a Taming of the Shrew farce motif. It could easily have done so. Instead, we get to see the vulnerability at Laurel's core and Del's need to be with someone who will challenge him as deeply as she loves him. And I particularly liked that Del got to show his own devious streak while he was at it.

This book was a bit more scattered than the previous two with storyline deviations and longer alternate viewpoints. Most of this is obvious setup for Parkers coming turn in the hot-seat, but some was simply character establishment for Del. He's been at the fringes of the other books enough that I thought those deviations unnecessary, though not intrusively so. While a weaker story than the others, I still found it emotionally satisfying and loved the eventual resolution.

A note on Steamy: This book is solidly mid-level steamy. It had what I'm coming to consider the Roberts Standard—two explicit sex scenes that go generic before becoming uncomfortably graphic.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Savor the Moment.