Britt Griffith's Reviews > Homecourt Advantage

2092568
Jun 09, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: chick-lit, fiction
Recommended for: Sports fans, chick lit fans
Read from June 07 to 13, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** This quick read surprised me with how much I liked it. Not to say that I liked it a lot, but it was decently entertaining and easy to read. Plus I liked how it was a true insider's story since the authors are the wives of two professional basketball players.

The story centers around the wives of the starting players on the New York Flyers basketball team and the players themselves, to a lesser extent. They all have their professional and relationship issues that they're trying to sort out all while the players are trying to win the national championship so the team won't be sold to a new owner and moved from New York City to Albany. There are no great surprises or revelations. One of the players is gay and the authors try to keep the identity of the player a secret until the end, which ultimately makes the writing sound dumb as anyone would be able to guess which player is gay. The story wraps up with a neat and tidy ending. Don't expect any great literature with this one, just a little bit of easy reading escapism.

One issue I did have with the book didn't happen until the last few pages. The players are black and the coach is white and (of course) the bad guy coach had to make a racist comment. Why even go there? He was enough of an ass as it was and I, as a Caucasian individual) found it highly unncecessary. Other than that it was decent book. I give it a C-.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Homecourt Advantage.