Christian Lipski's Reviews > The Callahan Chronicals

The Callahan Chronicals by Spider Robinson

Nov 25, 2008

Recommended to Christian by: alt.callahans
Recommended for: science fiction fans, pun lovers, beer snobs, smart people
Read in November, 2008 , read count: 2

Spider Robinson's tales about the denizens of the bar called Callahan's Place are the prescribed elixir for depression and worry. I avoided re-reading these stories for a while because they were unfailingly "perfect": everything happens exactly right, the right things happen to the right people, and it's all unrealistically utopian. But then, that's exactly what I want to read when I'm convinced that there ain't no justice in this world. I want to read about people who all get along and love each other and tell dumb jokes and stick together in the face of adversity.

Callahan's is the paradise for filk-singing spirits-loving punsters, for those outsiders whose intelligence makes them unwelcome in 'normal' society (and vice versa). At times in my life I find that world a bit twee for my tastes, but in the clinch it's a welcome respite from everyday crap.

If you love puns, music, fine spirits, science fiction, camaraderie and empathy, you may find your second home at a little out-of-the-way place in Long Island. If love at least some of those things, you will still enjoy your stay.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Callahan Chronicals.