Scarlett's Reviews > The Assassin and the Pirate Lord

3520693
Jun 10, 2012

bookshelves: reviewed
Read from June 09 to 10, 2012

Originally posted on my blog here.

I had first heard about the actual novel on NetGalley. The cover was alright, but when I actually read the synopsis (assassins? Game of thrones? Yes please!) I knew I wanted to read it. When I found out that there were several novellas leading up to the actual novel, I was a bit hesitant. Come to find out that these are like novels themselves!

Let me explain, sometimes the extras for a book are just that, extras that got cut, for good reason, but they want to have something to draw people in but there is no depth to it, etc. Not so with these novellas! They read just like a regular book and are all longer than 50 pages! It's a fantastic introduction to the world that Ms. Maas has created and I'm excited to see what else is in store.

Thought I must admit that while this isn't perfect, it is very engaging. Celaena is a bit annoying and full of herself and while she does have skills I'm still not seeing how she has the reputation that she does. HOWEVER, I think this sets things up nicely for her character to progress and mature and I think that she will become quite a good protagonist as things move on.

I appreciate this introduction to Celaena and other characters in the TOG world. I'm eager to start the actual series, and wonder how others will know as much if they don't read this novellas.

Don't be one of those people! Read these novellas!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Assassin and the Pirate Lord.

06/09/2012
10.0% "hmm, lots of promise. I normally don't go for the novellas before the actual book, but it seems in this case I may be glad that I did."