Kelsey Jacobs's Reviews > Lysistrata

Lysistrata by Aristophanes

Jun 09, 12

Read in June, 2012

This has to be the funniest piece of literature from ancient times. Small wonder, seeing as how most teachers only have a limited amount of time to cram in as much "meaningful" stuff as they can. Still, I wasn't expecting this play to be so damn FUNNY.

The humor translates well to a modern audience, props to Sarah Ruden. My teacher had kept saying throughout the quarter, "Just wait 'til we get to the Lysistrata! I think that there is at least one penis joke on every page! Aren't penises funny?" And while I smiled and chuckled a bit, on some level I must have thought he was wrong. But if you're the type that can't deal with that, the Lysistrata is not for you, because I have never, in film or literature, ever come across so many sex jokes.

There's this one beautiful piece where one of the wives is stalling, and she keeps having her husband bring out more and more items, each getting more ridiculous, and it had me rolling with mirth. Such faux-innocence!

So please, if all you've read from ancient times is the Iliad and the Odyssey, maybe a few other pieces such as Gilgamesh, or taken a few history classes where the teacher talks about the comedies and how funny they were, or how scandalous one was, please, please read this one. It will probably leaves you with a newfound respect for those old Greeks.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lysistrata.