Carol's Reviews > The Queen's Pleasure

The Queen's Pleasure by Brandy Purdy

Nov 03, 14

bookshelves: 2012, historical-fiction
Read from June 16 to 23, 2012

Was it murder or suicide or even an accident? Did Robert Dudley murder his 1st wife or order her murdered? Did Amy Robsart Dudley choose suicide as a release from the terrors of breast cancer and her torturous marriage to Robert Dudley? I chose this book to know more of the facts and to imagine the emotions had by Amy and Elizabeth the 1st.

Brandy Purdy’s “The Queen’s Pleasure” captured me in the beginning pages and did not let go until the end of the Epilogue. The Epilogue was my favorite part. My husband was in another room when I read it and he asked me if anything was wrong!

The story is told through the voices of Amy Robsart Dudley and Elizabeth 1st. Amy was Robert Dudley, 1st Earl of Leicester’s first wife. They came from very different backgrounds. He was the son of the Duke of Northumberland and Lady Jane Grey. His father has tried to secure the throne for his wife and failed. Robert was at first enchanted with Amy. Amy was from the country and loved nature very much. She didn’t care for jewels or furs or titles, she just wanted a happy life. Then Robert became enamored with Elizabeth 1st or did he?

I loved the idea of telling the story of Amy’s life through the voices of Amy and Elizabeth 1st and enjoyed the description, songs and poems employed in this story. After reading this book, I felt that I could easily understand Amy’s and Elizabeth’s feelings towards Robert Dudley. This book also gives you an inside to the ravages of breast cancer and the guesses at its treatment in the 1560s.

Did Robert Dudley truly love Elizabeth the 1st or was it the crown instead? Why Elizabeth 1st did chose England over any marriage? I believe this book answers those questions. What was the true Robert Dudley like? I hated him! You can read this book and see how you feel towards him.

I really loved this book; it flowed so easily for me and never got boring. I felt that I learned a lot about the relationships of the Amy, Robert Dudley and Elizabeth 1st, feel very fortunate to be living in these times when it comes to medicine. I confess that I have read some negative criticism that complains about the long sentences in this book but since that is the way that I write it felt very natural!

So I highly recommend this book for anyone interested in historical fiction. I am going to hold on to this book. I look forward to reading more historical fiction from Brandy Purdy.

I received this book from the author, Brandy Purdy but that in no way influenced my review.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen's Pleasure.

06/11/2012 "Waiting for this book to arrive"
06/15/2012 page 19
4.0% "Waiting for this book to arrive"
06/23/2012 page 469
100.0% "Review to come soon"
show 7 hidden updates…

message 1: by Colleen (new) - added it

Colleen Turner I'm so glad you like! I have this one coming to me and am excited to read it!