Carrie Lim's Reviews > Simply Irresistible

Simply Irresistible by Jill Shalvis

Jun 09, 2012

bookshelves: angsty-drama, can-t-get-enough, characters-made-of-win, chick-lit, contemporary-romance, deserves-all-the-stars-in-the-sky, domestic-bliss, epic-first-kiss, families, favorite-couples, favorite, favorite-heroes, favorite-heroines, hero-gentleman, humor, journey, knight-in-shining-armor, lmfao, lines-of-the-best-kind, love-between-the-lines, melt-worthy-scenes, momentous-moments, opposites-attract, overcoming-oneself, part-of-series, past-that-haunts, plot-has-plot, quotes-of-the-best-kind, real-love-is-real, romance, saving-grace, so-real-it-hurts, tears-all-over-the-place, sweet-and-fluffy, that-much-stronger, thoughts-are-real-thoughts, thought-provoking, heroine-tormented, tragical-plots, traumatic-events, unputdownable, what-lies-beneath, witty
Recommended to Carrie by: Diana
Read in June, 2012

Read this after the second book, The Sweeting Thing. I think reading the series out of order doesn't hurt. Actually, I found myself far more invested in learning how the characters were introduced after having already getting a feel for them.

The characters are witty, lovable and so very real! This book, Simply Irresistible, touched close to home as I really felt like I could identify with Maddie. (And that has never happened before!) Maddie, the mediator, the middle child, oh, my heart reached out to her.

I love Jill Shalvis' characters. They all have layers. They're complex, and undeniably flawed. Their lives are not always pretty or easy, actually, it's downright heartbreaking at times. Seriously, I felt like these characters are REAL, like they are my best friends. People I want to hold and comfort and reach out to. Especially, Jax (hehehe), the hero of Simply Irresistible ;) Just... can I hold him now?

While reading this book, I found myself laughing and in tears. All sorts of feelings were happening. Sometimes I didn't even know why. It could have been a line that probably wasn't even meant to instill any emotion and yet, somehow, I found myself gutted. And it felt so good. Sooo good. Shaking with bubbly beautiful feelings kind of good. Difficult to explain, but imagine a teddy bear hugging you from the inside. Yeah. XD

Would definitely recommend to anyone--EVERYONE.

Can't wait to see what else is in store for these wonderful characters. Since I read book two already, up next is Head Over Heels. :) Chloe!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Simply Irresistible.

Quotes Carrie Liked

Jill Shalvis
“Sisters are the true friends who ask how you are, and then wait to hear the answer.”

Jill Shalvis
“Smile...it makes people wonder what you're up to.”

Jill Shalvis
“A new beginning done right," she said out loud, because everyone knew that saying it out loud made it true. "You hear that, karma?" She glanced upward through her slightly leaky sunroof into a dark sky, where storm clouds tumbled together like a dryer full of gray wool blankets. "This time, I'm gong to be strong." Like Katharine Hepburn. Like Ingrid Bergman ."So go torture someone else and leave me alone."

A bolt of lightning blinded her, followed by a boom of thunder that nearly had her jerking out of her skin. "Okay, so I meant pretty please leave me alone."

-Maddie”

Jill Shalvis
“I've given up men. It's true. At first, I was just going to give up attorneys, but that seemed immature - and far too exclusive, so I'm playing it safe and giving up all the penis-carrying humans.”