AK's Reviews > The Sum of Our Days

The Sum of Our Days by Isabel Allende

Jun 09, 12

bookshelves: memoires-biography, literature, authors-spanish
Read in January, 2011 — I own a copy

The Sum of Our Days takes up the story of Allende's life from the time of her daughter's death, and is likewise addressed to her.

When Isabel Allende’s daughter Paula passed away, her entire life and family structure changed out of necessity. This book, written to Paula, is mainly about that family, changing and growing and loving, interspersed with her own feelings and successes. We get an inside look at her writing, her beliefs, and how she does it all. This book truly sums up the days of her family.

Isabel paints the characters of her family in a way that makes us feel like we know them, that we could bump into them on the street. I was amazed at some of the intimate details she revealed and am not sure I could deal with the world knowing such things about me, but by the end of the memoir, they are our friends too, and we want them to get through their own individual struggles and hardships.

I’d very much recommend this memoir. Not only is it an insight into Isabel’s life, but she highlights many issues that she and her family members struggle with. I think many people would not only enjoy this work but benefit from thinking about what she has to say.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sum of Our Days.