Sara's Reviews > The Midnight Zoo

The Midnight Zoo by Sonya Hartnett

Jun 09, 12

Read in June, 2012

I am having real trouble with this year's Carnegie shortlist. I keep reading books that move me, that knock my socks off, that have such pognant moments of truth that I immediately think: who can I recommend this book to... I loved this one.

A lot of people are talking about the age group for this book, the it might be too mature for a young audience, but I disagree. It is the kind of story that can be enjoyed in many levels. Different readers will take different things away, and I do feel like I would get more out of it with a second read.

I don't want to give anything of the plot away because I loved that I could come to this book without any preconceptions, but the writing is beautiful. The characters, all of them, so vivid and emotionally complex. Brilliant, brilliant dialogue. This book breaks quite a lot of the "rules" of fiction, and it breaks them perfectly.

I think this is a great book for parents to read with their older children (9 or 10 plus) to talk about what happens and how the characters react. It's also a great read for people who like their books thought-provoking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Midnight Zoo.