Bobbi's Reviews > Crossing to Safety

Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner

F 50x66
Aug 14, 2012

Read in June, 2012

I had forgotten about this novel that I read several years ago until Heidi read it recently. I pulled it off of my shelf and was immersed once again in the lives of 2 ordinary couples, gathering at the end of one's life to say good-bye. The storyteller reviews their meeting, their lifelong and deep friendship, and the personal dreams, quirks, stresses, and goodness of each individual. The sweetness and strains of their interactions over the years reveal their humanity and their frailty. Stegner writes with such swift beauty, the similies and metaphors often caused me to stop and re-read a sentence to savor the unique and stunning way to see an ordinary thing. I loved the characters all over again and enjoyed his theme of chaos versus control in our lives. Now I am hoping to read the several other Stegner books on my shelf ("Mormon Country", "Where the Bluebird Sings to the Lemonade Springs", "Angle of Repose", "Wolf Willow", "The Gathering of Zion", "Big Rock Candy Mountain"). PS Wallace Stegner was a fraternity brother to the father of a friend of mine, Jerry Jensen, at the University of Utah in the late 1920s, so I have gotten to hear a few personal stories about the author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossing to Safety.