Aleksandr Voinov's Reviews > Incursion

Oct 21, 2015

(Review from the author)
bookshelves: books-i-wrote, genre-scifi
Read in June, 2012

** spoiler alert ** The blog tour is in full swing:

Amara has an interview:

And an exclusive excerpt is up at Joyfully Jay:

-----------------------------------------
My partner described this story as "Disabled German-Named Space Maori in a Haunted House IN SPAAAACE with Polymorphing Monster". Yes, I thwapped him for it.

This was written after November 2011, after "Dark Soul" and started life as "Scorpions in Space!" (harkening back to my fantasy novel "Scorpion") and is in part triggered by Reese Dante's concept art for Scorpion, and part is just the whole concept of "Scorpion" messing with my head (hence the name of the ship).

Further influences were the idea to write a disabled hero for Jody (I hope I did a decent job, thwap me if I didn't!), a discussion on what constitutes a "real man" (thank you, JW!), because the jump to "real human" wasn't far - yes, this is how my brain works. And two movies are in there somewhere, too, namely District 9 and the latest Terminator movie. Pour in, stir, serve.

Kyle is a scarred, broken hero like I love them, though Grimm has my heart.

This also has the loosest connection to Dark Edge of Honor - it's set in the Commonwealth, which has some issues with the Doctrine on one end and the Glyrinny shapeshifters on the other end. I can totally see writing more in that 'verse. For the record, the connection is so tenuous that it's really just a nod in that direction, so reading Dark Edge of Honor is not necessary to get this story.
26 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Incursion.

Quotes Aleksandr Liked

Aleksandr Voinov
“He understood it then. The potential, the utter, unbelievable freedom to be whoever existed underneath his skin.”
Aleksandr Voinov, Incursion

Aleksandr Voinov
“He could sense Kshar underneath, and he knew he'd be able to sense him in whatever body. Unchanged, genuinely him.”
Aleksandr Voinov, Incursion

message 1: by Rhi (new) - added it

Rhi Etzweiler It probably says something very strange about me that I think this is one of your most interesting book covers...

message 2: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Well, it's Jordan being a genius again. :)

Laura (Kyahgirl) I remember reading something on your blog from a reader wondering if you could/would put a disabled main character in one of your stories. Is this book connected to that?
The synopsis sounds really interesting to me!

message 4: by Rhi (new) - added it

Rhi Etzweiler And of course, thanks for the DEoH nod because this totally encourages me to just blow the doors off their hinges and go for broke... =)

message 5: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Laura - Yes, that's exactly that story. (Though I've messed with people's legs a lot before - Sergei in Dark Edge of Honor loses a leg, Kendras breaks a foot - and I'm going to blow out a knee in the WWII novel after the one I'm currently writing...) I hope you'll enjoy it.

Rhi - It's really just the Doctrine as threat in the background. The Commonwealth people have a real problem, they are stuck between the Doctrine on one end and the alien shapeshifters on the other. Would be great starting point for an espionage story.

Amara LOLOL! Thwap him again!

message 7: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov I thwapped him yesterday for supporting the Holland football team against Germany. More thwapping on the way.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL. This seems to be a yearly occurance in your house. You cheer for Germany, he cheers for whoever they are playing against. ;)

message 9: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Yes, and then Germany wins. Or, better, England loses. :)

LenaLena Aleksandr wrote: "I thwapped him yesterday for supporting the Holland football team against Germany. More thwapping on the way."

That's no thwapping offence! *pouts*

message 11: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov He is English and said the reason for his support is that orange is his favourite colour. Also he likes to wind me up. He was lucky that traitors are no longer shot at dawn. :)

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 14, 2012 08:28AM) (new)

Which you told him, of course. Before or after the thwapping?

message 13: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov During. :)

LenaLena You gotta admit, the orange looks awesome.

message 15: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov It does. I also really like the German black away kit. :) or the Irish green.

LenaLena I am sorry, I am incapable of processing the word 'German' when connected to football for another week or so. Don't make me cry.

message 17: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov It's okay, you will have recovered by the time we win the tournament. (won't happen, but can dream)

message 18: by karlakolumna (new) - added it

karlakolumna Of course Germany will win the tournament! ;) I, at least, believe so very strongly, because if we don't I'll lose 50€ to my brother.. I'd really like it to be the other way around. ;P

message 19: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Well, it's the best team we've fielded in a while. :)

LenaLena LALALALALALALALALALALA I am not listening!

message 21: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Although, from Spain's performance today, I wouldn't be surprised if they won.

message 22: by Aiko (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aiko Aleksandr wrote: "Although, from Spain's performance today, I wouldn't be surprised if they won."

Spain has won enough >.< The game was absolute horrible to watch, while trying to cheer for Ireland.

message 23: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov They are not my favourites - but they have a really good chance. The poor Irish...

message 24: by Aiko (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aiko yeah, they do..
But you never know with soccer, that's the magic of it ^.^

message 25: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Yes. Fingers crossed!

message 26: by Enny (new) - rated it 5 stars

Enny “You can take poison on that.”

LOL!!!! Translating German idioms into English is fun.