Jeremy Osborn's Reviews > The Pixar Touch: The Making of a Company

The Pixar Touch by David A. Price

Oct 04, 08

Although I've always loved Pixar movies, animation has been a spectator sport, I've never created or worked on animated pieces. However, this book was fascinating, especially the first half, as it details the rise of the Pixar company and brand. It's obviously very well researched and features lots of behind the scenes details and insights on the key players at Pixar: Steve Jobs, John Lasseter, George Lucas, Michael Eisner,and more.

This is more of a "business" book than a creative one I suppose, but the author manages to make some of the more prosaic details captivating. There are some good lessons within the pages for any creative folks who are enmeshed with the world of business and profit.

There's a dry sense of humor on the author's part that I wish was more present in the book. For example, after a description of Disney chairman Bob Iger's deal with China to create a Hong Kong Disneyland Price writes "Iger had succeeded with the People's Republic of China, but it was unclear whether he could do the same with Steve Jobs- compared to the Chinese leaders, Jobs was far more dogmatic."

The last third of the book droops a bit once the narrative reaches Pixar's success. It's the details leading up to the release of Toy Story that kept me captivated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pixar Touch.